Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mother's Day Memories

My favorite Mother’s Day was when my son was 5 or 6 years old (it upsets me that I can’t remember for sure – that is why keeping a journal would be a great idea!).  The guys in my hubby’s family decided to take all the wives out to dinner on the Saturday before.  It was a surprise as to where they were taking us and Jacob was helping to keep that surprise.

That morning I needed to go to the local department and grocery stores and Jacob went along.  The department store was the first stop and I have absolutely no idea what I needed to buy but Jacob always wanted to look at the toys.  He found a little green John Deere tractor that he wanted and a plastic cow.  Well, as usual I gave in and said he could get them both.  When we got to the check-out, he noticed a display of books and asked if he could get one.  I told him he could only get two things and if he wanted the book, he would have to put back the cow or tractor.  I kinda encouraged the cow because after all it was just plastic.  He decided not to get the book.

Our next stop was the grocery store and as we were walking in, Jacob asked me how you wrap something for someone.  It hit me like a ton of bricks that my little boy decided to keep the cow not for himself but for me.  You see, my kitchen was decorated in most things cows – he wanted the little plastic cow for me.  I told him the easiest way to wrap a present was to use a gift bag so we went to the gift wrap and bought tissue paper and a gift bag.

When we got home I explained to hubby what had happened and he helped Jacob wrap his gift.  I can still see him carrying the bag out to the car and into the restaurant.  My heart was filled with pride and so much love for my son.

I still have that cow and it is one of my most prized possessions.

Till next time,
Linda <3

No comments:

Post a Comment