Sunday, September 19, 2010

Depending on God

Had a great time Saturday; went to a family reunion and a grad party for my niece.  She just graduated from Slippery Rock University.  Congrats Beth!  We love you!

The family reunion was for my mom’s side of the family.  It was so good to see aunts, uncles and cousins that I haven’t seen in a few years.  (We hadn’t been to a reunion in a few years due to one reason or another.)  I was fortunate to have some great conversations with some cousins.

One was especially meaningful to me.  My cousin J was telling me how he came about getting his current job.
He had placed an application with one company and really wanted the job.  It was a better job, more money and better hours.  He had prayed about it but didn’t get the job.  This made him angry with God and he told God he was upset.  God then turned it around so that J could see it from God’s point of view (I’m paraphrasing here).  All of this made J realize he needed to keep trusting and depending on God to provide what J needed.  A year or so later, J applied for the same job with a different company.  He had an interview and was told he would hear something by Friday.  Monday came and he still hadn’t heard anything yet.   He said he had made up his mind to trust God and if God didn’t want this job for him, that was okay with him.
Turns out he got the job… he said he felt God was testing him to see if he would really trust God.  He also stated if he had gotten the original job, he would have been out of a job a year later.  God knows what is best for us.

This got me to thinking about my situation; no job even though I have applied and had interviews.  Maybe God wants me to learn to wait on Him and depend fully on Him.  He does promise in Philippians 4:19 “But my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”  Sometimes what we consider a need is really a want and that is why we never get it.

I’m going to work hard on depending on God for my needs.  It’s not going to be easy; I tend to be too independent-as my hubby puts it-I give things to the Lord then take them back. I need to break the habit
I have an Aunt who once told me that she prays about everything – even something as simple as what to have for lunch and super each day.  That is total trust and faith in God.  I pray to reach that point one day; I’m going to start now…won’t you come along on my journey?

Til next time!
Linda

P.S. Discussion time: Do you depend on God for your needs? Comment below…

No comments:

Post a Comment